Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 35-40 minutes
- 1 1/2 cups oatmeal (traditional or fast cooking)
- 1/2 cup oat flour (grind oats in food processor)
- 1/2 brown sugar or coconut sugar
- 2 T ground flax seeds
- 1/2 t salt
- 1/2 t cinnamon
- 1/2 cup raw slivered or sliced almonds
- 1/8 t ground ginger or 1 t fresh grated ginger
- 1 cup shredded coconut-sweetened or unsweetened
- 1 cup dried fruit (cherries, raisins, dates, etc.)*
- 1/4 cup, plus 2 T honey
- 1/4 cup melted butter, coconut oil or ghee
- 1 T orange juice
*If you use dates, you might reduce or omit the honey.
- Preheat oven to 350
- Line 8 inch square baking pan with foil or parchment paper. Grease the foil
- In a large bowl, combine the oats, spices and dry ingredients.
- In a small bowl, combine the wet ingredients
- Pour the liquid mixture over the dry mixture and blend with a fork
- Grease fingers and press the mixture into the pan until it is tight and solid
- Bake for 35-40 minutes
- Cool for 30 minutes, then place in fridge for at least one hour
- After completely cooled, cut into bars, wrap each one in plastic and store in an airtight container in the pantry
- Enjoy for breakfast or on the run for up to 2 weeks!
NOTES — Can use regular flour or oat flour which is made by grinding oatmeal in a food processor. Bars will stay fresh wrapped in plastic up to 2 weeks.